Elliot and Dan got together this time around to recap the week in hacks, and it looks like the Hackaday writing crew very much had cars on their minds. We both took the bait, with tales of privacy-violating cars and taillights that can both cripple a pickup and financially cripple its owner. We went medieval — OK, more like renaissance — on a sawmill, pulled a popular YouTuber out of the toilet, and pondered what an animal-free circus would be like. Is RadioShack coming back? Can an ESP32 board get much smaller than this? And where are all the retro(computer)virus writers? We delve into these questions and more, while still saving a little time to wax on about personal projects.
And although the show is peppered with GSM interference for the first few minutes it’s not actually a clue for the What’s That Sound. (Elliot says sorry! And edited most it out by swapping over to the backup recording for most of the rest of the show.)
Check out the links below if you want to follow along, and as always, tell us what you think about this episode in the comments!
Download it yourself if that’s your jam.
Episode 236 Show Notes:
- Review: Battery Spot Welders, Why You Should Buy A Proper Spot Welder
- Here’s a very complicated Hoverboard Bobbycar mod
- It’s all Dan’s fault: Ask Hackaday: What’s Your “Tactical Tool” Threshold?
What’s that Sound?
Interesting Hacks of the Week:
- Your Car Is A Privacy Nightmare On Wheels
- When Tail Lights Lose Touch With Reality
- Out With The Circus Animals, In With The Holograms
- Tape Is Very, Very Quiet
- [Thomas Sanladerer]’s YouTube Channel Goes In The Toilet
- Bringing Da Vinci’s Saw Mill To Life
- Elliot’s Picks:
- Dan’s Picks:
- Will RadioShack Return?